McKinzy and Darren’s Crystal Ballroom wedding on December 29, 2018 was a memorable one for sure! Their reception was a classy, black tie affair on a beautiful winter evening in the heart of downtown Boise, Idaho. From the high energy Grand Entrance, to the romantic First Dance to the all-ages Dance Party (oh yeah!), their wedding day was nothing short of amazing.
McKinzy and Darren got married at a nearby church and had their guests arrive immediately after the ceremony. The elegantly dressed group started to make their way into the ballroom for cocktails and appetizers around 5:45 pm. We helped create a romantic mood with a dozen of our LED uplights that were set to a beautiful candle light color. While they wanted a romantic setting, they still wanted people to have fun, so my music selection was upbeat and fun, spanning different decades and genres.
When McKinzy, Darren and their wedding party arrived, their guests welcomed them with a thunderous applause. The kind of greeting only close friends and family can give. The night flowed smoothly from there as everyone enjoyed a buffet-style dinner provided by Big Sky Catering. After that, we moved into toasts, cake cutting and the special dances.
Then, it was time for everyone to dance and did they ever! It didn’t take much to get this crowd going. They came to celebrate Darren & McKinzy and it showed. The dance party lasted at least a couple of hours. I mixed everything from fun, upbeat oldies to Top 40, Hip-Hop and some throwback songs from when McKinzy and her friends were growing up.
This winter wedding at The Crystal Ballroom was a blast and I am truly honored to have been a part of it. Thank you McKinzy, Darren and the rest of your crew for allowing me to help make your day memorable!
What McKinzy & Darren had to say:
- Cocktail Hour Music: Fun & Upbeat (mix of oldies, pop, classic rock, etc.)
- Grand Entrance (Wedding Party): Kool & The Gang “Celebration”
- Grand Entrance (McKinzy & Darren): Kenny Loggins “Footloose”
- Dinner Music: Light/Mellow Love Songs
- Cake Cutting: Thomas Rhett “Die A Happy Man”
- First Dance: Ed Sheeran “Perfect”
- Father-Daughter Dance: Bob Carlisle “Butterfly Kisses”
- Mother-Son Dance: Nichole Nordeman “Slow Down”
- Anniversary Dance: John Michael Montgomery “I Swear”
- Bouquet Toss: Whitney Houston “I Wanna Dance With Somebody”
- Garter Toss: Usher “Yeah”
- Dance Party: A mix of EVERYTHING! (Top 40, Disco, 00s, 90s, 80s Pop, Funk, 50s, 60s, etc.)
- Last Dance: Bill Medley “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life”
McKinzy & Darren’s Crystal Ballroom Wedding Photos
(Courtesy of SS Photography & Design)
Eric Rhodes is the owner and lead DJ at Rhodes Entertainment in Boise, ID. Eric has always had a passion for entertaining people through music. He officially started mixing records at the University of Idaho in 1999. After college Eric moved to Boise where he started making a name for himself in the local music/club scene with his unique sets of House, Indie and Hip-Hop tracks. He started his business in 2011 after realizing that his career in TV news just wasn’t for him. Since then, Eric has been following his dream by building his event DJ Company.
Aside from music, Eric has a passion for fitness, personal development and, most importantly, raising his young family. He is also the former President of his local Toastmasters Club and former President of the Idaho Event Professionals group.